Why are sealed box woofers out of fashion

Loudspeakers are in no case minimum phase !
That's not elaborating, nor coming with any arguments, but just repeating the same statement over again.

Which brings zero constructive value to any discussion.

I am mostly confused why you keep doing that?

Sure, you have the right to have your opinion, it's only not really convincing that way, especially after previous discussions and information that have been shared from quite some skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and respected members.

Besides the fact that for certain subjects, having an opinion isn't really relevant or even a question to begin with.
But that's a whole different story all together.

So let me rephrase the question, why are you not willing to share some more information on your thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello. I am going to build 2 sealed bass cabinets with 2x 10" Seas drivers. They should have 25-40 liters each. What is best solution; seperate chambers or back to back ( vibrations canselling) Today my speakers are Mirage OM6 with dual 8" back to back. The other solution is to put the one in the front high in the cabinet and the one in the back low in the cabinet like Mirage M1. Should I separete the woofers in each chamber or should the play in the same? Could the cabinet be smaller when they share chamber?

@Norlenning It depends on the amplification you wil use if you connect the woofers parralel they may share the same volume, but it must be twice the volume what is needed for 1 woofer.
2x4 ohm woofers in parallel give a 2 ohm load on the amp, look at the specs of the amp if it can handle 2ohm load.
If you use a 2 channel amp for example 2x500w i think its better to give each woofer his one sealed enclosure, for if the amps have not exact the same output.
I use a Hypex FA501 amp in parallel for powering 2 scan speak discovery 12 inch woofers (its a dual opposed subwoofer), the FA501 can have a 2ohm load.
If the driver needs 40 liter you can make it 20% smaller and adding polyfill , the wool make the woofer behave like its in a 20% bigger space.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ah, i just saw the impulse response with pre echo but that must be from the lin phase low pass xover? as you say, the high pass is minimum phase so no pre echo from that. The low pass on the graph is about the same slope as the high pass? (you mentioned 96dB/ovtave)

Yes, I think you're right...that the pre-echo is low-passed induced due to not having any commentary xover offset.
i watch the dip in the sub's impulse response before it's peak go away when the rest of the speaker is added.

Here's a quick example with just the next driver up, covering 100-250Hz, when added to the sub.
Red sub, blue woofer, and black their summation...if not obvious to others.

The black summation impulse...the left side dip is already a little less than the right side dip....with just the addition of the 100-250Hz woofer.
As sections are added, mid, then HF, VHF....I watch the left side dip melt into flatness.

low imp added to sub.jpg

Thanks for pointing out that the look of the slopes on the transfer function I posted, didn't seem right....
Yes, the low pass should be 96dB oct, but I can see it was falling short of that.
I'm learning a new FIR generator and goofed..
Here's sub redone...same 96 dB/oct lin lpf, and same 20Hz IIR bu3 hpf
vtwin 100 96dB 20Hz bu3 IIR.jpg

Have to retune speaker and check for further goofs...only got to adding woofer so far, like above example.
Can/will, show full speaker with sub for impulse when done.

Thanks for info. The woofers are 8ohm so no problem with 4 ohm total for Adcom GFA555. Smart to fill the cabinet with wool. I’m not sure if I will put one woofer on top and one in bottom or both back to back at same height. Time will show😎
@Norlenning It depends on the amplification you wil use if you connect the woofers parralel they may share the same volume, but it must be twice the volume what is needed for 1 woofer.
2x4 ohm woofers in parallel give a 2 ohm load on the amp, look at the specs of the amp if it can handle 2ohm load.
If you use a 2 channel amp for example 2x500w i think its better to give each woofer his one sealed enclosure, for if the amps have not exact the same output.
I use a Hypex FA501 amp in parallel for powering 2 scan speak discovery 12 inch woofers (its a dual opposed subwoofer), the FA501 can have a 2ohm load.
If the driver needs 40 liter you can make it 20% smaller and adding polyfill , the wool make the woofer behave like its in a 20% bigger space.

Reactions: 1 user