Unique design of the Endeavor-E3 speaker

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It appears the Nautilus has a different purpose (works in a different way, as a wideband filter?) than the open ended T-lines.

A half-wave line with sufficient damping becomes aperiodic (non-resonant). The goal here is to have the entire sound pressure from the back of the driver is aborbed and turned to heat.

I imagine you could make a fractal branched closed T-line? The octopus or kraken?

This design branch was initially expored by Hegeman, he passed his knowledge onto Morrison, there was an interesting article in Speaker Builder/aXp, and is currently being explored as metamaterials (KEF Meta tweeter the prime example).

A fractalk is infinite, somethign we can onkly approximate.

Kraken = CHR-Ken are the miniOnken (bass reflex-pushed aperiodic) for the CHR-70

ma100-title-280811-gif.266618

dave

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
During that long dissertation i meant to add that my first TL build was an EPI microTower clone … i had no idea what a TL was at that point. A subsequent exposure to a set of Radford S90 (at Boutique of Sound, a strange little store in the halls of Westbrook Mall in Calgary [where my grandmother also worked as a seamstress] — driver by QUAD 33/303. I had never seen such interetsing looking electronics berfore).

The way Radfords came to Calgary (and likely NA), was as kits and boxes were built locally. I learned a whole lot from the guy that made the pair i heard icluding the folded midTL line.

https://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/radford.html

radford_S90_plans.gif

dave

Reactions: 1 user
A half-wave line with sufficient damping becomes aperiodic (non-resonant). The goal here is to have the entire sound pressure from the back of the driver is aborbed and turned to heat.

This design branch was initially expored by Hegeman, he passed his knowledge onto Morrison, there was an interesting article in Speaker Builder/aXp, and is currently being explored as metamaterials (KEF Meta tweeter the prime example).

A fractalk is infinite, somethign we can onkly approximate.

Kraken = CHR-Ken are the miniOnken (bass reflex-pushed aperiodic) for the CHR-70

dave
I had forgotten about those kraken speakers, actually I meant more of an octopus looking Nautilus. Nautilae?

I appreciate very much your time and patience with us noobs and lifetime students of the art. The terminology used is often chosen for marketing reasons and has nothing to do with the physics involved, so it gets confusing.

I would very much like to build some Onkens, mini, mega, or otherwise.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The terminology used is often chosen for marketing reasons and has nothing to do with the physics involved, so it gets confusing.

We often see names misapriated. A transmission linme has to do with long, long wires, the phase plugs we see in midbasses and FRs are not really phase plugs, just 2 examples.

I would very much like to build some Onkens, mini, mega, or otherwise.

The Onken is distinguished by the vents down the sides. The traditional Onken is low bass-shelf tuning, today they ar emore often butterwoirth, my miniOnken has a quite different alignment and uses hiugh aspect ratio, high frisction vents to push teh reflex alignemtn towards aperiodic.

dave