Spruce wood for cabinet??

Dave, I know. You are free to look up the different members of the pines if you like. Sounds like you googled already. You will also find out what each of them are used for.

Please stop calling Fir a pine. We know what family it's from. When you say Pine, it refers to yellow/white pine that afaik is not used for anything structural unless as a vertical support or a laminate ie: glue lam’s or other.

Scott, where are you?

Last edited:
If you are building loudspeaker cabinets from massive, natural wood, there are two options:

1. You are a seasoned carpenter with many years of experience, who know's all and any trick in connecting wood. Also you can predict the climate the finished product will be used in over the years.

2. You have no clue about speaker building and are looking for trouble, because you hate to take advise from educated people who know better. Anyway, in most cases you will also be unable to combine the right drivers and construct a decend crossover, so no one will care when the cabinet falls apart.

To each his own but IF I needed double thickness plywood and didn't have the massive multi-Ton hydraulic press used in manufacturing , Plan B would be to apply a thin coat of glue on each mating surface, sandwich them, and pass resulting sandwich through steel rollers.

Pressing between flat plates requires monster pressure because it becomes divided by total surface as mentioned above; while between rollers it is concentrated along the rollers "contact line" which is very narrow.
Even hand cranked rollers might do.
The trick lies in finding the proper adhesive which hardens quickly under pressure.

Long ago I made my own PCB copper clad sheets that way during one of our periodic Economic crises when none was available, at any price.

Reactions: 1 user
Hong Kong right? There's a rich history of yacht building there... your ply should be available
Yes. But I have to get those from Taiwan. I will order both Mahogany ply and Spruce wood for the same size that is 8' x 4' x 3/4" for experiment.

I already placed an order of bamboo plywood. So I can do the comparison between those 3 different materials. Thanks for the advices from you guys!! I am really appreciated!