Some speaker driver measurements...

excuse my ignorance (its my job) it looks like the distortion goes down at 11v vs 8v? Is this accurate?
When measuring distortion the sweep tone passes through a 2nd order high pass filter with F3=800 Hz for 8 Volt and 1200 Hz for 11.2 Volt. You should analyze only the range from F3 and higher up. Below F3, especially far from it, the measurement signal is too low, so the measurement software gives very unstable results.
Overall, the distortion for 11.2 Volt are higher than for 8 Volt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @HiFiCompass

Thank you for spoiling us with several new measurements.

Do you have any plan to evaluate latest drivers from Kartesian?
The one below might be interesting. It'll likely be a great performer, between Purifi's 6.5" and 8":
https://www.kartesian-acoustic.com/wom185-vki
I'm curious on how they manage to achieve a high Qms (8.8!) without visible surround resonance symptom on impedance. (maybe just a bit at 900Hz, scale is bloated)
Interesting approach to try to keep a flat-ish emissive surface too!

Low quantity price is prohibitive for the occasional DIY though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @HiFiCompass

Thank you for spoiling us with several new measurements.

Do you have any plan to evaluate latest drivers from Kartesian?
The one below might be interesting. It'll likely be a great performer, between Purifi's 6.5" and 8":
https://www.kartesian-acoustic.com/wom185-vki
I'm curious on how they manage to achieve a high Qms (8.8!) without visible surround resonance symptom on impedance. (maybe just a bit at 900Hz, scale is bloated)
Interesting approach to try to keep a flat-ish emissive surface too!

Low quantity price is prohibitive for the occasional DIY though.
Yes, that woofer looks very impressive. It would be interesting to test it. I'll contact them next week, maybe they will agree to send some samples

Reactions: 3 users
excuse my ignorance (its my job) it looks like the distortion goes down at 11v vs 8v? Is this accurate?

Always look at the "Features/comments" section:

The HD measurements at voltage levels 2.83 - 8 V were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 800 Hz cutoff, HPF2-800)

The HD measurements at voltage level 11.2 V were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 1200 Hz cutoff, HPF2-1200)

Reactions: 1 user