Some general questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a SS power amp. I have a couple construction questions.

1. Is it acceptable to use inline fuse holders on the power transformer secondary's? (attached)

2. The case I bought was for a preamp or headphone amp. It had some pre-drilled holes on the back, an IEC hole, an on / off toggle switch hole, two RCA holes I'm assuming for inputs. Since it's for me, is it tacky to use the RCA's for speaker outputs? Should I just drill some binding post holes? (attached)

3. On the front is a hole for a 1/4" jack and a hole for a volume pot. I could use the 1/4" jack for input if I use the RCA's for speaker out. Or should I just bite the bullet and drill binding post holes? (attached)

Attachments

• 223FUSE-INLINE__26790.1521486596.jpg
    223FUSE-INLINE__26790.1521486596.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 148
  • s-l500 2.jpg
    s-l500 2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 152
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 154

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't like speakers on RCA because some helpful idiot (could be you after a wild party) can put WATTS into line-level interfaces and blow stuff up. However a billion low-price "HiFis" do it.

In-line fuseholder works, but is "tacky". Real wiremen working inside the box use real fuseholders.

Littelfuse Fuse Block @ The Electronic Goldmine

Attachments

• G22924B.jpg
    G22924B.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 148
1. Is it acceptable to use inline fuse holders on the power transformer secondary's? (attached)
It is proper to put a single fuse on the transformer primary side, between the mains socket and the on/off switch. This is for health and safety. You can get IEC sockets with built-in fuses if space is limited although you'll have to enlarge the cut-out.

A fuse/fuses on the secondary could be used too. What's your motive? I would advise thinking through what would happen if only one fuse blows...what happens to the voltages in your circuit and will this damage your circuit or your speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.