SMPS for a class A Jean Hiraga 30w

Look at the aluminium box. This is my DIY SMPS. UC3842 + STPS7N60 + BYW98 * 3, TL431 + PC817. The SMPS gives ±14V and 12V more or less well regulated.

Once I had only 30VAC (Nominal 220VAC) in the mains, once the SMPS started up, then it continued working down to 30VAC. Believe it or not, but I saw it.

Attachments

• Audio 02.JPG
    Audio 02.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,022
Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily. Reading the Marty Brown and the Abraham Pressman's books was all I need to build this old fashioned SMPS. Plus some "copy and paste", for example, no one of the authors sais how to design the clamp in the primary of the fly back transformer. Ergo, I took the values from dozens of SMPS's I repaired (CRT monitors and TVS, notebook chargers, etc,) then I got an approximate value, and use it (Diode, capacitor and resistor). Hurra, it worked from several years. Not to mention, that when the the SMPS still haven't its box, and the PCB was open at the air, a drop of water-based wall pain drop in the SMPS, just in the MOSFET insulator to the grounded heat sink...Some few sparks, but the SMPS survived OK.

As only a suggestion, start with a simple project. My first was only a 220AC to 12VDC 3A converter. It is very easy. Check and take note of the difficulties encountered, and learn from them. Once the simple one is at your satisfaction, and if and only if is at your satisfaction, then start a new more complicated one. But do not start from a ±12V, plus a 5V and 250V DC.

I learned lots in the internet, there is much good info, buy you must filter it yourself.

To see how your mind can fly, take a reading at this:

diytube.com • View topic - My "Tube SEPIC II" project

A SMPS made of ... TUBES!!!

I use SMPS on my class A's. A disadvantage of SMPS for audio is that when the load is low, many stock designs go into a very noisy discontinuous mode with irregularities even in the audio band. But with Class A there is never a low load (one of the few advantages of class A's poor efficiency) so the SMPS operates at a rather continuous load current so any noise is at very high frequencies and at audio frequencies the supply is tightly regulated.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I tried my Pass M2 (Class A 25w/ch +/- 24v rails and 1.25amp bias current) on a couple of 24v 5amp SMPS bricks designed for LED lighting. They were surprisingly quiet (much quieter than my linear supply) and easy to connect, plus lightweight, cheap, sounds great, and now I am not seeing any reason to go old school heavy iron/copper toroidal trafos anymore.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/306411-strange-forest-noise-linear-psu.html

Here is my FFT for 8v rms into 8ohms with the $17 bricks (x2):
610807d1491806355-strange-forest-noise-linear-psu-m2-fft-1khz-8.0v-8ohms-right-channel-no-preamp-smps.png

This is what I used, looks like price went up to $19ea now:
https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-100-240V-5-5x2-1mm-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00LUIKY4S/

Last edited:
I just read though your thread, man how easy was it that you just bought two simple 24v 5amp SMPS and your amp works with no issues?

I mean that's a whole lot easier then making a complete old skool power supply (and much cheaper!)

So i take it you can pump the volume and they can handle the loads? Do they get hot?

I tried my Pass M2 (Class A 25w/ch +/- 24v rails and 1.25amp bias current) on a couple of 24v 5amp SMPS bricks designed for LED lighting. They were surprisingly quiet (much quieter than my linear supply) and easy to connect, plus lightweight, cheap, sounds great, and now I am not seeing any reason to go old school heavy iron/copper toroidal trafos anymore.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/306411-strange-forest-noise-linear-psu.html

Here is my FFT for 8v rms into 8ohms with the $17 bricks (x2):
610807d1491806355-strange-forest-noise-linear-psu-m2-fft-1khz-8.0v-8ohms-right-channel-no-preamp-smps.png

This is what I used, looks like price went up to $19ea now:
https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-100-240V-5-5x2-1mm-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00LUIKY4S/

Hi
Just my 2 cents.
After learning that Mr Pass uses SMPS in the Amp Camp Amp, I thought I would give it a try.

I've had really good results using SMPS in the following Class A amps:
First Watt F4
Aleph 5
Aleph mini (2x laptop brick PSU's)

To me the advantages are:
They are very quit, especially mechanically. No big humming trafo here.
They are/can be cheaper. For bigger Class A amps like the Aleph 5 I'm not sure it was cheaper, as I needed +-34V and a lot of amps.
Easy to implement
No Ground loop issues.

I would like if someone out there could enlighten me on the big disadvantages and why it has not necessarily caught on the DIY audio world yet (at least not for Class A amps). It is like the SMPS has not gotten the audiophile "Quality Acceptance" stamp! Or is it just me?:eek:

I know that the SMPS' "switches" and thus are noisy at the switching frequency, but this is usually at frequencies that are way beyond the audible frequency range. The switching can lead to some EMC issues I know, but nothing I have encountered as a problem yet.

I use SMPS on my class A's. A disadvantage of SMPS for audio is that when the load is low, many stock designs go into a very noisy discontinuous mode with irregularities even in the audio band. But with Class A there is never a low load (one of the few advantages of class A's poor efficiency) so the SMPS operates at a rather continuous load current so any noise is at very high frequencies and at audio frequencies the supply is tightly regulated.

Typically the SMPS data sheet states the minimum value, for meanwell that’s typically below 10% load. Class A is quite good on that, especially OTL, but AB can end up rattling between the two modes.

If you can add the heater supply to the PSU too, it helps add to keep above 10%.

I’m currently modelling a 648W SMPS 240v->24V then using 24->200 etc

Last edited: