Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Probably not. I keep a few cans of compressed air around for the occasional dusting. I have some of my raspberry Pi’s ‘naked’ , running piCore and moode , for years with no problem ( I know that I just now jinxed myself). I am counting on the other exposed components to be similarly immune to the occasional dust bunny. I like the exposed aspect of the set up. I can insert a new piece (pre-amp, amp etc.) as I’m building something and then I can easily test it for functionality etc. If not testing something new, it’s a great sounding platform for that listening space. Thanks for your question and interest!

Another ACA mini comes to life (in the UK).

For the past few years I’ve flip flopped between diy and vintage amps and don’t have anywhere near enough time these days for building or listening to music as I’d like :0) This kits been sat in a box for a year so I thought I’d better get on and build it! It was super straightforward apart from when I got tired and mixed up the Mosfets on one channel, no worries I’ll just quickly de solder them…..errrr ….de soldering those was an absolute pig as the board holes are soooo teeeny tiny. In the end my hot air re work gun did the job but not before I’d snapped a couple of pins and lifted a trace on one of the pin holes on the underside of the board.

I managed to use some thin solid core wire to re build a couple of pins and bridge the destroyed pin hole trace (Taken out when I had to drill out the remains of a broken pin leg that was stuck fast). Once I fixed my own stupid mistakes biasing was easy but I’d soldered in some wires to the test points (cos the holes are so tiny). The fact it biased ok was a relief although I did test the repaired Mosfets before re soldering.

The base is just something I had lying around from an old project. I also knocked up an L bracket for some “proper” speaker plugs from a piece of scrap aluminium.

How does it sound? REALLY nice ….to the point I’m surprised. I’m driving it with my ACP+ fed from a WiiM pro + streamer. The WiiM I’m really liking because of the parametric EQ (another story) but this combo drives my big old 15ohm Heathkit Cotswold speakers with ease.

I may install a power supply filter board and wire in some permenant test points for the bias…..or may not bother! Gonna have to dust off the old ACA for a shoot out. I’m listening with the jumpers out and It’s lush. This one is definitely a strong recommend from me.

Thx to mr Pass and Diy Audio for making it available For non-geniuses like me to knock up great sounding amps.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4464.jpeg
    IMG_4464.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 9 users
Pics or it didn't happen, right?

I can't believe I still haven't posted pictures of the finished project -- I distinctly remember completing the amplifier and intending to make a post about it.

Anyway, the amp in question is a First Watt F5 Turbo, of the v2.5 variety (so in other words, doubling up on the output MOSFETs as in v2, plus using the cascode transistors as in v3).

Some thanks are in order: thanks to Nelson, of course, for giving us this design for free. I also owe a thank you to Randy Thatcher, whose power supply and rectifier snubber PCBs are in use in my amp. (He's a great guy btw - even took the time to talk to me on the phone about what I'd need and how to use the boards properly. Thanks again, Randy!) Similarly, the folks at the DIY Audio Store deserve props for putting the amp PCBs and matched FET kits up. I also want to thank you all, as the members of this forum are really what make projects like this viable. Special kudos go to the likes of 6L6 and Zen Mod, whose involvement in this site have been instrumental in getting my (and countless others') amps working.

Without further ado, here are pictures:

Attachments

• IMG20240121231657.jpg
    IMG20240121231657.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20240121_232950.jpg
    IMG_20240121_232950.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG20240121231719.jpg
    IMG20240121231719.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20240121_232852.jpg
    IMG_20240121_232852.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG20240121231008.jpg
    IMG20240121231008.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20240121_232721.jpg
    IMG_20240121_232721.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: 8 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Auxiliary futzing rig set up temporarily.
Proof of concept is a go. Sounds great. Big fun for summer tweaking/prototyping/etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My holiday of diyAudio projects has continued! I tried in vain to troubleshoot and revive a B1-ish contraption I built previously that had an annoying hum. When that failed I changed course to put a DCB1 Hypnotize board and donut in that chassis, instead. Much better success.

First push today was to see if I could just get it to work. Volume pot wiring always confuses me. :deerman: I must have stared at goats for over an hour before I got the brazen confidence to just wire it up systematically. I even drew a logic diagram over a picture of the board in the chassis, planning to ask for help here… Eureka took over and I got the connections made, albeit precariously.

I made an absolute mess of my dining table/project bench. :smash: First pic below is the precarious successful testing with my trusty bench speakers and an available amp. Boosted by that elation and an evening cup of strong tea, I schemed how to button it all up without too much cutting into the chassis. Upon completion of that task, the next coup was to combine the new DCB1 with my Modulus 86 in a matching chassis.

Second pic is the christening of the von Ahdio Short Stack. :clown: Initial listening passed with flying colors!

So, of course, more critical auditioning was in store. Third pic is the Short Stack with the secondary system I set up a couple days ago. I’m listening to it now as I tap this text out. You can see the Short Stack lounging with its big brother Scryer, filling out merely 2/3 of the physical volume in comparison. :magnify:

The combo works very well! Even with the total lack of sugar from vanishingly low distortion, it sounds exceptional. I may experiment with the ACP+ this week to see how some H2 sweetener works here instead of the DCB1. But I really like this cute little stack of gear and will enjoy it for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.jpeg
    IMG_1449.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1457.jpeg
    IMG_1457.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 5 users