Listening rooms for a composer's 2024 tour

Joined 2023
Dear Community,

I am an ambient/drone music composer planning a tour for spring 2024. Typically I pursue traditional venues, but I had a whimsical idea ... to play DIY/hi-fi enthusiasts listening rooms.

Why not? As I — & my collaborators — often play for more intimate audiences anyway, & don't require massive systems, what's the need to perform in large venues with pa systems that are generic, one-size-fits-all & far from optimized? Moreover, I would love to hear my music on a lot of the different systems that are featured here, & give them an objective testing ;) I bet many of you would love to show off your ingenious creations, as well as see how they perform in a different context.

In general, I think this could be a fun social experiment, but also offer some real possibilities for research & connecting dots.
Would be curious to hear people's thoughts. If you're interested, pm me.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll teach you to solder and you guys can stay the whole week and work on your DIY projects and feed the cat, while we go on vacation?

Joined 2011
You'd have to be quite careful to not damage their speakers.
Hi-Fi speakers are much more delicate than PA speakers.

Joined 2023
"You'd have to be quite careful to not damage their speakers.
Hi-Fi speakers are much more delicate than PA speakers."

Indeed. Sound guy would need to know up front about recommended listening levels, strengths weaknesses etc. & adjust accordingly. Host could also be 'sound guy' & control the mixing board?

Joined 2011
Best to use a sound level meter to judge the acoustical level. It can fool you if there is low distortion.