High Output Subs that play 20hz to ≥200hz

@weltersys I concur. The issue that is unique to my situation is that I don't like the idea of having a delayed signal to a live video source. My system needs to do music, sound engineering, movies, and gaming. Gaming wants the least latency as possible without a possibility of time/phase alignment. So it'd be nice to have good temporal performance without processing. 10ms probably isn't the end of the world but why when you don't have to.

If we are debating the horn sub above, there are other reasons to run from it. Do you think that the FR could be fixed with DSP?

808 = the DECAY function on a Roland TR-808.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-808
Have you seen the latest iteration of the TR Rhythm Composer? Amazing bit of kit and things it can do. I have the TR drums on hardware on the DJ-202 and the full library of Roland drum on the JDXI. Prefer FL for the wicked sequencer combined with my Akai FIRE FL Studio controller and my Roland MX-1 digital mixer can take all of its independent tracks over USB

@camplo I feel what you're saying. I like the dubby bubble sound done with electric bass with muted strings thumbed and the vol turned way up. Huge attacks and very little note decay. When doing this stuff, I like the bass speaker to stop when I stop the string. Things like retail Fender types amps cant do this type of bass

Did you look at the ZXI drivers
https://ds18.com/collections/15-sub...fer-2000-watts-2-ohm-dvc-quad-stacked-magnets

These can be played like an instrument with measured note lengths with an electric bass and also capable of going as low on synth bass and kicks as you could want (don't know if I am wording this right)

I don't know much about speaker design but I feel the very small box and huge power given a driver like this has minimum delays and the most articulate reproduction. To be honest, I am basing my opinion with the JLAudio W7 drivers in mind, as I currently don't have experience of the ZXI. Not looking to buy more W7s so the ZXI comes up as an alternative after a lot of discussions with DS18 folks. I hope you take the time to run this through its paces on your sims. You seem to be keenly knowledgeable on this, so I would love to hear more on this one

Have you seen the latest iteration of the TR Rhythm Composer? Amazing bit of kit and things it can do. I have the TR drums on hardware on the DJ-202 and the full library of Roland drum on the JDXI. Prefer FL for the wicked sequencer combined with my Akai FIRE FL Studio controller and my Roland MX-1 digital mixer can take all of its independent tracks over USB

@camplo I feel what you're saying. I like the dubby bubble sound done with electric bass with muted strings thumbed and the vol turned way up. Huge attacks and very little note decay. When doing this stuff, I like the bass speaker to stop when I stop the string. Things like retail Fender types amps cant do this type of bass

Did you look at the ZXI drivers
https://ds18.com/collections/15-sub...fer-2000-watts-2-ohm-dvc-quad-stacked-magnets

These can be played like an instrument with measured note lengths with an electric bass and also capable of going as low on synth bass and kicks as you could want (don't know if I am wording this right)

I don't know much about speaker design but I feel the very small box and huge power given a driver like this has minimum delays and the most articulate reproduction. To be honest, I am basing my opinion with the JLAudio W7 drivers in mind, as I currently don't have experience of the ZXI. Not looking to buy more W7s so the ZXI comes up as an alternative after a lot of discussions with DS18 folks. I hope you take the time to run this through its paces on your sims. You seem to be keenly knowledgeable on this, so I would love to hear more on this one

I'm more into the hardware music producers than the software music producers. I like seeing people make beats with the Emu SP1200 and Akai MPC3000 and below. I've watched videos of the SP2400 and the updated SP1200. I'm an ol skool Boom Bap type of guy. But, I do appreciate Trap beats too. DJ Magic Mike is my go to for BASS.

That DS18 15" is NICE!

@weltersys I concur. The issue that is unique to my situation is that I don't like the idea of having a delayed signal to a live video source. My system needs to do music, sound engineering, movies, and gaming. Gaming wants the least latency as possible without a possibility of time/phase alignment. So it'd be nice to have good temporal performance without processing. 10ms probably isn't the end of the world but why when you don't have to.

If we are debating the horn sub above, there are other reasons to run from it. Do you think that the FR could be fixed with DSP?
Similar to the high frequency horn/driver you are presently using, the frequency response of the undersized mouth horn simulated in post #62 could be "fixed" with DSP at one position.

That said, the simulation assumes a straight horn, the multiple bends in the folded horn cause reflections and ringing that would require linear phase FIR temporal equalization to correct.
The length of the filter depends on the frequency range on which it operates (lower = longer) and the Q (higher = longer).
Depending on how much "fixing" you wanted to do, you might add another 10 to 1000ms latency in addition to the ~8ms HF time of flight delay required for alignment.

Reactions: 1 user
DJ Magic Mike is my go to for BASS.
You mean as in DJ Magic Mike & MC Madness, who did "Dynamic Duo?" I remember that one from back in the day and I just love it. I am not a rap/hip-hop guy by any stretch but if even a quarter of all of it ever produced were as good as "Dynamic Duo" and Kool Moe Dee's "I Go To Work" I might just have been such a guy.

You mean as in DJ Magic Mike & MC Madness, who did "Dynamic Duo?" I remember that one from back in the day and I just love it. I am not a rap/hip-hop guy by any stretch but if even a quarter of all of it ever produced were as good as "Dynamic Duo" and Kool Moe Dee's "I Go To Work" I might just have been such a guy.

You know it!

Screenshot_20240423_091259_Pandora.jpg

Just fold it back and forth 3 x and put the driver at the end of the first fold. A bit of polyfil in the offset section lines it up ‘perfect‘ by affectively lengthening it a bit (orange trace is after, blur is before)

Attachments

• IMG_7965.png
    IMG_7965.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I want to understand the acoustical parts of the offset design before I could be comfortable building one. I have not been able to recreate the response above in HR BR mode, instead of the offset TL mode ... but I don't know why.

The main chamber, not sure what to call it, the driver needs to sit symmetrically in it was what I can tell... I think it must be the path variable. In offset mode, the path, is set my the length of the enclosure where as BR mode assumes you are putting the BR port, where ever.
1714233299463.png

Last edited: