Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

No, not a bit. I think the trick to better digital sound might be to have very low ESR with lots of amps on the digital PS. Most of the regs have some sort of over current protection that allows them to feed the caps until they are charged.
I also use BlackGate HiQ caps as close to the pins of the 1541a as possible. Could be my imagination, but I feel BG and TDA1541a is a match made in heaven.

The TDA current consumption is 50 mA at the most per voltage , that's not really à lot :cool: , supercaps are totally useless here

the sound you hear is made and shape at the analog side , and what comes out the TDA is 4 mA not a lot too

the digital side make bits , bits that we like to be clean , on time and steady , dont we :)

Last edited:
The TDA current consumption is 50 mA at the most per voltage , that's not really à lot :cool: , supercaps are totally useless here

the sound you hear is made and shape at the analog side , and what comes out the TDA is 4 mA not a lot too

the digital side make bits , bits that we like to be clean , on time and steady , dont we :)

It's important to me that the bit clock to the TDA is stopped once the data has been latched.

Very interesting @wlowes ! From Wikipedia on supercaps: "can accept and deliver charge much faster than batteries" sounds like an interesting idea for powering the the digital. Have you tried powering the digital front end from supercaps too? Have you tried stacking them up to power -15V line too? Any pictures of your contsruction :) ?

Very interesting @wlowes ! From Wikipedia on supercaps: "can accept and deliver charge much faster than batteries" sounds like an interesting idea for powering the the digital. Have you tried powering the digital front end from supercaps too? Have you tried stacking them up to power -15V line too? Any pictures of your contsruction :) ?
I use them in various supplies in the digital front end dealing with iancanada FIFOPi. Mine is a very tame example. Take a glance through ian's thread https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-621#post-7672642. He found in increasing order of preference wrt subjective sound quality,
1. traditional linear power supply with low noise reg
2. Lithium battery,
3. Battery with supercap filter,
4. Large 3000F supercap disconnected from charging source
So mine is a simple cheap hybrid using well filtered linear supply, low noise reg and 1.5F supercap close to the load.
I have not tried supercaps on the -15V. You need a lot of 2.7V caps balanced and it was just not worth it. IMHO the +-5V caps have a more pronounced impact on sound then the -15V line. On the -15V I use linear PS 6th order filter and a salas shunt. After the shunt I use 1000uF BlackGate N in super E config and a BG HiQ cap at the pin. I happened to have them and quite like the sound of BG on the TDA1541a. For completeness all of this is running an S2 variant which I also prefer over std, S1 or R1.

Reactions: 1 user
L'adattatore Saa7220 dovrebbe funzionare anche come sostituto semplicemente plug and play del filtro Saa7220 per una modalità NOS... Ha all'interno un orologio per la necessità di un lettore CD. Sarà solo necessario fare dei ponticelli su di esso ed eliminare la rete dell'orologio originale staccando alcuni cavi.

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_212108.jpg
    IMG_20240502_212108.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240502_212123.jpg
    IMG_20240502_212123.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 19