1.5 way crossover question

hello all,
I am planning to use two same full range drivers in a box which are 8 ohm nominal drivers (inspired by omega speakers!)
will be low passing bottom driver at 500hz and let the top driver run full range
in this case, want to understand whats the impedance seen by the amplifier as both drivers are connected parallelly except that there is an inductor for low passing the bottom driver.
Thanks

In that case let me know if below configuration works
Two full range drivers in series at bottom so total impedance 16ohm, low passed using single inductor, so total final impedance is 8ohm. Correct?
And One top full range driver with impedance 8ohm.
In this configuration amplifier should see 8ohm effectively. Right?

I am not familiar with simming tools. Will try out. Any free tools?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Dual-Driver-Wiring.pdf

A 1.5 way is usually parallel wired with a series inductor on one woofer. This gives a 6 dB lift below the XO frequency. Unless the room is bif and you have the speaker pulled out way intot heroom you will have too much bass 9you might like that).

I prefer to design a speaker that needs no explicit baffle step and prefer to wire in series with a big shunt cap across one driver. Gives no lift at the bottom, but doubles come area. Impedance doubles below the XO.

dave

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
In that case let me know if below configuration works
Ok. Since you don't mention them having different sensitivities I'd just assume they're the same for a given drive, and they're all fullrangers.

Two full range drivers in series at bottom so total impedance 16ohm, low passed using single inductor, so total final impedance is 8ohm. Correct?
No need to sim this one. This would always stay above 16 ohms nominal. You would only cross both at the same time this way and there's no opportunity to add the 1.5way aspect unless you cross specifically at the baffle frequency.

(This doesn't relate to post 1 or 3, so I don't think it's answering your questions..?)

1.5w-1.jpg
1.5w-12.jpg